Application Instructions - Burnaby School District

Before you begin


Before you begin the online application process:

• Ensure you have the necessary information for the student and parent(s). This includes names, birthdates, contact numbers, and addresses.

• Collect required and recommended documents (see below). They must be submitted as PDF (Preferred) or JPEG files only and less than 5MB each. If any document is larger than 5MB, it must be rescanned at a lower resolution before beginning the application process.

• Have a major credit card (Visa or MasterCard) ready for the final page of the online application system. The application fee is $250 CAD and is non-refundable.


Required documents


The documents listed below are required. If you do not upload these documents into the online application system, you cannot complete the application process. If you do not submit a complete application within seven (7) days, the partial application will be automatically deleted. You can download the required documents from our website




1. School Report Cards - You must have a record of grades for the Current School Year (Term 1 Marks) plus the Previous Two School Years (Final Marks) of study, translated into English. Please upload the English-translated version followed by a copy of the original school report card. Photocopies of school report cards must be certified with the official school stamp. You will only be able to upload one document at a time, so please ensure all pages of the records of grades are scanned as a single PDF file document.

2. Passport Photo Page – Scan the passport photo page of the student’s passport. This allows us to double-check the student’s information to ensure that all correspondence is correct.

3. Medical Information Form – Download, complete, print, and sign the form.

4. Vaccination/Immunization Records - This is a new mandatory document. Please provide both English and original documents.

5. Participation Agreement and Waiver Form (4 Pages) – All pages must be completed and signed by the parent(s), please do not leave any signature missing.



6. Field Trip Consent Form - Sep 2024 / Field Trip Consent Form - Feb 2025  –  This form is required as Secondary students will participate in a day trip during orientation.


7. Student Interest Form - Required for students applying to Grades 9, 10, 11, and Grade 12 only.


      8. Burnaby Elementary School Placement Confirmation Form (Elementary Student Only) – Please complete this form with the parent's signature and signature date.



9. Confirmation of Parent Living with Student Form – If students will be residing with a parent during their studies, they are required to submit this form.

Elementary students up to Grade 5 must live with a parent (father/mother). Elementary students in Grade 6 may live with an aunt, uncle, or grandparent (blood-related). Elementary students in Grade 7 Students may live in a privately arranged homestay on their own (Langara Homestay does not accept Grade 7 Homestay applications).


10. Current Study Permit - Scan the student’s study permit. 

11. Medical Insurance Card (Canada Transfer Student Only) or public/private medical insurance cards from any other province within Canada - Scan the student’s current medical card. If it is an MSP BC Services Card, please scan both the front and back of the card.

12. Student’s First Entry Stamp – Scan the First Entry Stamp page on the student’s passport.



13. Custodianship Declaration Forms (2 Forms in one complete set) – If you have appointed a custodian, submit the notarized custodian appointment forms with your application. If you have not yet appointed a custodian, we will require you to submit these documents before issuing your Letter of Acceptance.

14. Other documents (optional) – Such as student's photo album, reference letter, certificates, letter of enrollment, etc.


Applicants requesting a homestay will be referred to the Langara Homestay Program. Such students do not need to submit these forms, as Langara Homestay will arrange for the homestay parent to be appointed as the custodian.

What is a custodian? Burnaby School District as well as Citizenship & Immigration Canada require minors studying in Canada without a parent to have a custodian to care for them. The appointed custodian must be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident, over 25 years old, and must live full-time in the Greater Vancouver area.


Application Procedure


Step 1:  Create an account online and fully complete the online application. 


Step 2:  An Admissions Committee will review the application. The student will be advised within 7-10 business whether or not they have been accepted. For accepted students, the school district will then request:



There are 4 ways to pay, see your invoice for more information

  1. Flywire through your online portal
  2. Wire Transfer if payment is coming from overseas
  3. Bank Draft if paying from within Canada
  4. E-Transfer if paying from within Canada

REFUND POLICY: You are responsible for reviewing our refund policy, which is located at


Tuition fees can be paid by:



  • To pay right away, select Pay by Flywire. You will be brought to Flywire where you can review payment rates and select a payment method 
  • For step-by-step instructions select How to Make a Payment with Flywire


Payment From Overseas (Wire Transfer)


  • The following information is required to pay by wire transfer:

Beneficiary Name: School District No. 41 (Burnaby)

Beneficiary Address: 4054 Norfolk Street, Burnaby, BC, V5G 0C3

Bank Transit Number: 94630 Bank Account Number: 5262277

Institution: TD Canada Trust 004

Overseas routing/swift code/ABA: TDOMCATTTOR

CC Code: 000494630

Bank Name: TD Canada Trust
             Bank Address: 4670 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 4L9


  • Ask the bank to include the student's legal last name, legal first name (same as the student's passport), and invoice

  • Upload a copy of the wire transfer remittance (with all the wire transfer details) to the shared documents by going to Students > View Students > Docs > Add Shared Documents.
  • We ask that you do not make any direct deposit payments.


Payment From Within Canada


Visit local bank and issue a bank draft in Canadian funds and payable to "Burnaby School District".


  • Ask the bank to include the student's legal last name, legal first name (same as the student's passport) and invoice number.
  • Please bring it in person during our office If by courier, please email us a copy of the tracking number.
  • We ask that you do not directly deposit the bank draft into our bank account.
  • Our office does not accept personal cheque or printed company cheque (unless it is certified by the local bank with a stamp).



You will need to make arrangements with your bank to increase the dollar amount limit on an E-Transfer: It is commonly $3,000 per day, you will need to increase this to cover the cost of all the fees as we do not accept split payments.


  • Send money via email:
    • Email Account:
    • Beneficiary Name: The Board of Education of School District 41 (Burnaby)
    • Payment Details: Include the student’s legal last name and first name (same as on passport), Student’s TN file number and/or Invoice number
  • Upload a screenshot of the EFT transaction to the shared documents by going to Students > View Students > Docs > Add Shared Documents.



When making payment, it is important that you include the student’s legal first name, legal last name, their True North ID number OR Burnaby School District Invoice number.  If paying by wire transfer, please upload to the shared documents a copy of the wire transfer confirmation receipt by going to the Agent or Parent portal: Students > View Students > Docs > Add Shared Documents.


Once payment has been confirmed and our office has received all required documents, you will be able to find documents on the Agent or Parent Portal which you will need to apply for your Study Permit.


Official receipt: Invoice> View Invoices > Invoice Paid: Yes


Step 3:  After the student has paid tuition and medical fees and provided all required

documentation, the school district will:

• Provide an official Letter of Acceptance (LOA). The student can then apply for a Study Permit at the nearest Canadian Embassy.


Letter of Acceptance (LOA): Students > View Secure Messages


• Provide students with details of the International Student Orientation. Orientation is generally held one week before the start of classes and is mandatory. Please check our website at for more details.